15 August 2008

More from Piedmont Avenue.....

Most folks, when they think of Piedmont Avenue, envision something like Mille Fiori, a flower stand which has been on the Avenue since I moved here nearly 30 years ago. An area of “cute shops,” “great places to eat,” the home of Fenton’s ice creamery and Piedmont Theatre, L’Amyx Tea Bar and the Piedmont Grocery. For me, it is more multifaceted. When I go for my walk, I so often find another, far more interesting, textured community. I've included a slideshow of photos from walks on the Avenue. If anyone knows who the kid dancing in the window of Ferrari's is, please email me! I love it that my neighbors are the sort who leave out shoes for the homeless; quite often I find shoes, jackets, or other warm apparel for them. Free books are left on top of the return bins at the branch Library on 41st Street. Often the restaurants in the area leave bags of bread, bagels or muffins on top of newsracks for those without food.

The sidewalk and pavement pieces interest me because I'm always fascinated by what we "set in stone" when we have the opportunity. I think it speaks well of my neighbors that one choose to memorialize a complex symbol of love, and someone else cut Lewis Carroll/ Jefferson Airplane/ Grace Slick into concrete. All best to that impulse! (Production Notes: The "headless horseman" shot was made with my Samsung telephone at La Baja Taqueria, a place dedicated to Jerry Garcia, replete with original posters from the Hashbury 1960s. (BTW, Baja Taqueria has a great little Bluegrass jam from 8-10 every Monday night, hosted by Tom Lucas. No cover.) Although the quality as a photo is not to the standard I hold for myself, the painterly quality makes it somewhat more interesting, and in the spirit of the grateful dead, may they all rest in peace. The others were made using a Nikon digital.)

17 comments:

raven's craving studios said...

i love the mille fiori stand -- especially with the laser hair removal sign hanging over it :D

check out my new blog!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Piedmont avenue stories. I am going to have to go there and walk around and pay much closer attention to the details. Often I am there to shop, to eat, to find a parking place, to see a movie, it is nice to step back and see things that are there, but not shouting at you. What I like about this is that you pick up the whispers of Piedmont Avenue.

Kathy

Sky said...

I love the Piedmont stories .... please keep them coming.

And hell yes to Grace and the rest ... I met her ... she played show that I was workin' .... the end on that one.

Also, I hope to walk your walk some day!

Love to Sita!

Sky said...

And I so happy you get to go walking and breath at the same time.

:)

I saw The Dead ... too bad I can't remember too much ... tee hee!

Mugsy Peabody said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mugsy Peabody said...

Grace Slick singing was a force of nature, to be sure. She picked a friend and me up hitchhiking once. She pretended to be her own cousin, but I worked with her cousin at the phone company, so I knew who she was. It was something. She stayed and had dinner with us, and was good people. (Now, settle down, people. I don't hitchhike any longer.)

Candy said...

Mugsy,
The pictures are wonderful. Have you ever read any of Jean Shinoda Bolen's books? Wondered what you thought, if you have? Glad you are back around WOW and Lily's.
Candy

Anonymous said...

I walk down the avenue everyday and thanks to your wonderful words, it will be a little more colorful tomorrow morning!

Mugsy Peabody said...

Thanks, Joshua. More to come in future. Mazel tov.

Anonymous said...

I like the new photos! They help us to see from your views .... and we sure do love your views.

Love,
K

Josie said...

Mugs- Lovely! This helped me see my own bit of neighborhood and look for expressions. I found many! I looked out of my window a few moments ago and Doris is having her lawn tilled in a few spots for new things to come. She has an array of florals and who knows what she is planning now. I know it will be good!

On the left, well...that's another story about a nice quiet man who seemingly works quite hard. I believe he plays on the good guy team, but his dog is a little devil.

Ohhh, I could go on.

Gorilla Hugs, josie

Anonymous said...

I have been wondering about the shoes ... what does it mean if anything?

k

Mugsy Peabody said...

K. I've responded to you by editing the post.

Anonymous said...

I loved the rewrite/edit ... it helped me to understand the love that flows forth from your SF community.

On a very sad note:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26425975/

Oh, Mugsy, Dell passed away ....

Please write something about this ... please.

I love you

k

mary lou said...

mugsy, can you please memorialize del for us? thank you. get phyllis involved if you want.

thank you,
mary lou

Mugsy Peabody said...

I think Phyllis needs her privacy just now. I'm thinking about what I would have to say...

Anonymous said...

Hey there Beautiful One...just wandered over to "the Ave." LOVE IT. Keeps me right there until I am again..

And is that our intrepid Miss V with her dog?

Referenced you on wOw site today under change of careers. (9/2/08)

Abundant bouquets of clear fresh oxygen wrapped in calm and soothed lungs, this from me to you.